Gutsy install problem

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Oct 25 16:24:57 UTC 2007

** Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> [2007-10-25 15:51]:
> Not quite sure what to use as a subject, but that about sums it up!
>
> What I think I need to do is force the  pata_it821x  module to load
> during the boot process so that I can mount the root file system.
** end quote [Paul Tansom]

OK, a bit sad replying to my own post, but after a bit more digging and
exploration of /proc/modules it seems that the  pata_it821x  driver is
since when booted into the live CD these are loaded and the partitions
on the drive are showing up as sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4.

So it would seem that the driver is using scsi emulation to work and
these extra elements are missing. Of course I'm far from being an expert
in Linux drivers, so I could be reading this completely wrongly :)

Next I need to work out how to force these to load and with any luck the
drive will then be avaiable. Any suggestions more than welcome - please!