Upgrade to 7.10 from 7.04 via online upgrade

Charles J. Lingo c.j.lingo at basicisp.net
Mon Oct 22 20:03:50 UTC 2007

I upgraded a system built on an Asus 5VPA board with an AMD K6-2/400 and
320 MB RAM which had been used by my grand daughter for web surfing and
schoolwork. It had had no problems, but the reports that I had seen
indicated that 7.10 was faster than 7.04. I expected the upgrade to
require me to answer questions and then indicate "GO" and forget the
computer until the upgrade was complete. Since the DSL line that I am
using is only slightly better than a good 56K modem, according to
KNetStats, I started at about 11 PM and checked in again in the morning.
I found the computer waiting for my permission to delete files that were
"obsolete". this happened again several times before the installer ran
and completed the install.

Since the upgrade, I have found only one major problem. The same
internet connection, Quest supplied Actiontec modem and Encore Model No.
ENRTR-104 10/100 Mb router, allows only one connection per instance of
Firefox. It does not allow links to be followed from a search engine, or
even from the "Bookmarks". When trying to follow a link the load bar at
the lower right corner goes quickly to half way and STOPS. I have not
tried the full email sytem, as I am only on the system for
administration purposes.

Any ideas on fixing this without just downloading an iso of 7.10 and
reinstalling from it would be appreciated

Chuck_36