What is virtualization?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Oct 22 20:37:11 UTC 2007

Default User wrote:
> I have been hearing virtualization being mentioned more and more
> recently.  I don't really know much about it.  Would someone please give
> a simple "Cliff's Notes" (TM) version of what it is, how it works, and
> why anyone would bother to use it at all.
>
> Please resist the urge to answer that "I if you don't know what it is,
> you don't need it".

What if we said, "Use Google?"

In a nutshell virtualization software creates a "fake computer" in which
you can run other operating systems so you can test or run other
software in a test environment or run software that won't "hurt" your
own computer while running.  Using VMWare, for example, you can install
Windows in a fake computer that is actually running on your Linux
system, so you can run software you "absolutely can't live without" that
is only available on Windows.

Google sandboxing, virtualization, vmware, virtualbox, qemu.  Wikipedia
also has some good articles on it.

-Bart