Command Line Interfaces

Pete Holsberg pjh42 at pobox.com
Fri Oct 5 16:52:31 UTC 2007

Felipe Figueiredo pounded out the following on his or her keyboard on
10/4/2007 6:55 PM:
> On Thursday 04 October 2007 19:25:00 Pete Holsberg wrote:
>> sktsee pounded out the following on his or her keyboard on 10/4/2007
>> 5:18 PM:

>>> That's classic. Maybe even sig-worthy.
>>>
>> Yeah, well...
>>

>> linux [pjh] /home/pjh> man console
>> No manual entry for console
>
> You do know rtfm nowadays means "google it", right? ;)

I'll have to try that on a Windows mailing list!!

> Even so, what you would be looking for (if it was serious) should be
> in /usr/shre/doc/console*.
>
> But you would know that, being a geek ;-)
Actually, nothing associated with X was around when I was "good" at Unix
and it looks like most of the filenames have changed under Linux.

> Seriously, see the pakage console-setup, not installed by default. You
> can
> easilly configure console at any time by dpkg-reconfigure'ing it.
I installed it and got this:

linux [pjh] /home/pjh> sudo apt-get install console-tools

Password:

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Suggested packages:

  kbd-compat

The following packages will be REMOVED:

  kbd

  console-tools

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 301kB of archives.

After unpacking 426kB disk space will be freed.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y

Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main console-tools 1:0.2.3dbs-65ubuntu3 [301kB]

Fetched 301kB in 6s (49.5kB/s)

dpkg: kbd: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:

 console-terminus depends on kbd | console-tools; however:

  Package kbd is to be removed.

  Package console-tools is not installed.

 console-common depends on kbd | console-tools (>= 1:0.2.3dbs-54); however:

  Package kbd is to be removed.

  Package console-tools is not installed.

 gdm depends on kbd | console-tools; however:

  Package kbd is to be removed.

  Package console-tools is not installed.

(Reading database ... 119355 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing kbd ...

Selecting previously deselected package console-tools.

(Reading database ... 119219 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking console-tools (from .../console-tools_1%3a0.2.3dbs-65ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...

Setting up console-tools (0.2.3dbs-65ubuntu3) ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

linux [pjh] /home/pjh>

Do I need to reboot?

Then I tried

linux [pjh] /home/pjh> sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-tools

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

linux [pjh] /home/pjh>

???
--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the
few who are rich...
-- John F. Kennedy