why an SQL Database?

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Sun Nov 25 02:06:26 UTC 2007

M. Fioretti spake thusly:

> What are the alternatives to find quickly, straight from the mail
> client, things like "all the messages of all the threads about
> OpenDocument, on several mailing lists, where Y replied to messages
> which _I_ sent into those same threads" in an archive of ~10**5
> messages?

Dang, I don't think I've *ever* had a query that complicated. I need to
get out more. ;)
.

> From what I've read, the only thing that comes close to this is some
> kind of relational database which can build virtual folders on the
> fly. Which in practice, means using dbmail ( http://www.dbmail.org/ )

I wonder how all this would work with IMAP?  I switched to IMAP from POP
 a year ago and I've learned that IMAP (while better for my needs) isn't
quite what I thought it was gonna be (it's slow and search is *beyond*
slow - compared to POP).

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com