why an SQL Database?

Caleb Marcus caleb.marcus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 02:15:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 19:06 -0700, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:

> is would work with IMAP?  I switched to IMAP from POP
>  a year ago and I've learned that IMAP (while better for my needs) isn't
> quite what I thought it was gonna be (it's slow and search is *beyond*
> slow - compared to POP).

IMAP's advantage is also its greatest disadvantage... since all the mail
resides on the server, searching through undownloaded headers takes a
long time as the client has to download every message in order to search
it. If you use something like Gmail that has a web client that offers
search, that can help, but if you don't, you'll have to either set it to
download the full message every time. I think IMAP might offer a way of
telling the server to run the search for you, but I'm not sure... either
way, I'm not using a client that supports it, so it doesn't really
matter to me.