Gutsy is unusable for many, but an official statement is missing

Ed Arnold era at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 23 20:56:23 UTC 2007

Tim Fuchs wrote:

>Hello Ubuntu developers
>
>I have some serious issues with Ubuntu Gutsy, it crashes/freezes all
>the time, sometimes it takes some hours sometimes it just takes
>minutes. The point is, my Gutsy install is unusable for serious work.
>
>I don't know what happens, and I don't know how to fix it, but I know
>that many others share my problem, or at least similar problems, after
>I read these two threads in the forums:
>
>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=585714 (11 pages!)
>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905 (27 pages!)
>
>I also reported a bugs earlier this month but I got no response (apart
>from other people who also have problems, but no solution):
>
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/159398
>
>So basically there are some serious issues with Gutsy and we have yet
>to get any "offical" answer by some developer and/or Canonical
>employee.
>
>I'm sorry if this mail sounds a bit harsh, but I, and many others, are
>left with hardly usable systems and nobody on Launchpad/Forums/IRC can
>provide any help.
>
>So please, please, can anybody shed some light on what the state of
>affairs is right now?
>
>Thank you in advance, Tim

I have been having similar problems.  I would welcome a comment from
any developer as to whether I should file a bug report, as I've been
reluctant to do that too early.  I would also welcome comments (esp.
from anyone with a Dell D810) who is running 7.04 and is NOT
experiencing problems, as I am considering a downgrade.

My scenario: running 7.10 on a Dell D810 laptop, all standard hardware
from Dell (I've haven't added anything).  At first, I thought the
random hangs were a problem with the AlpsPS/2 touchpad/buttons, but
that turned out not to be the case.  When the system hangs (sometimes
minutes, or sometimes hours) after a fresh boot, there doesn't appear
to be anything I can do from the keyboard.  I can still move the mouse
and see the cursor arrow move, but there is no response to
CTL+ALT+DEL.  (I'm assuming this means there would also be no response
to CTL+ALT+F1, but I'll be trying that next time.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions either explaining what I can do
to debug 7.10, or confirming the stability of 7.04.