Gutsy is unusable for many, but an official statement is missing

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Nov 25 09:34:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 04:15 -0500, Robert Koberg wrote:
> Is anybody using the the ati driver in gutsy and having it work with
> no problems? If so, what version of the driver are you using?

Be careful with your wording, to prevent misunderstandings. "The ati
driver" is usually understood to mean "the free driver", especially if
"ati" is not capitalized, because the free driver's name is "ati". The
proprietary driver is called fglrx.

In case you meant "is anyone using the proprietary ATi driver without
problems"?, then I do, kind of:

I use it on a Mobility Radeon X1300, which also has no support in the
free driver. I'm using xorg-driver-fglrx from the Ubuntu repos with the
version number 7.1.0-8.37.6+2.6.22.4-14.10 (which is ATi's 8.37.6), and
the kernel module in linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-generic (that is
all standard Gutsy packages/versions).

I would not say "with no problems", but I can live with them:
      * Sleep/hibernation don't work
      * XVideo has a bug that tints all videos blue, but this can be
        worked around by having the movie apps using the OpenGL video
        output (or if one does not support OpenGL, then use XShm)
      * Can't use AIGLX for Compiz (but Xgl can be made do work)

Google Earth is the only application I really need 3D acceleration for,
and it works fine.