screen wavy after upgrade to Feisty - refresh rate? can't config display in kcontrol...

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 16 03:02:06 UTC 2007

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 18:05 -0500, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> Caleb Marcus wrote:
>>> I'm not sure I understood your message correctly, but if you're thinking
>>> that Gutsy is the "unstable" release and Dapper is the "stable" release,
>>> that's incorrect... both are stable, but Dapper is LTS, which means it's
>>> supported for longer.
>> I thought every other release was more experimental, being
>> Edgy, and now Gutsy, and the others (dapper and feisty)
>> were the more "stable (I guess longer support then?).
>> I´ve been known to use the same os version for nearly two
>> years, so long as their are updates...
>> Like I said, for me, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
>> I don't need a lot of eye candy and entertainment stuff (except
>> xmms to listen to tunes while I work).  I need to be able to edit and
>> translate documents, communicate online...stuff like that.
>> I try to keep it simple....One more reason why gnu/linux beats the
>> pants of windows...I don´t have to have all kinds of unnecessary garbage
>> on my machine everytime I install an os.
>>

> Actually, Dapper Drake is version 6.06, which is a Long Term Support
> (LTS) release. The next LTS release is scheduled to be version 8.04,
> which will be a direct upgrade from version 6.06. LTS versions have a
> minimum of three years of support for the desktop version, and five
> years for the server version. The regular releases have a minimum of 18
> months support. You can verify this here:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu
>
> The only truly experimental version released was Edgy, version 6.10,
> when Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu´s parent company, requested as
> much cutting edge software as possible be included as could be.
>
> So, for stability, I would stay with dapper drake until the release of
> the next LTS version, and then upgrade to that when it is released.
>
> Good luck,

Hmmm...so, Feisty has what, about 1 year of support yet, and, about the
time that runs out, I´d be able to directly upgrade dapper to the newest
LTS release.
is that right?
Ya gotta kinda wonder why I upgraded then...
Actually, 8.08 must due sooner, since dapper was already out for about a
year before I dove in about a year ago.  I think.
Of course, so far, feisty seems pretty cool.
Not that I see much difference, really.
Actually, it seems to be lacking some KDE features that dapper had.
Will I be able to upgrade from Feisty directly to the newest LTS release?
Actually, under fedora, which I used for about 5 or 6 years before
coming to Ubuntu, I would do a completely fresh install about every two
years, anyway, and I sometimes skipped releases.

omgwtfbbq
/tony

--

http://www.baldwinglinguas.com