screen wavy after upgrade to Feisty - refresh rate? can't config display in kcontrol...

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Nov 16 00:34:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 18:05 -0500, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Caleb Marcus wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understood your message correctly, but if you're thinking
> > that Gutsy is the "unstable" release and Dapper is the "stable" release,
> > that's incorrect... both are stable, but Dapper is LTS, which means it's
> > supported for longer.
>
> I thought every other release was more experimental, being
> Edgy, and now Gutsy, and the others (dapper and feisty)
> were the more "stable (I guess longer support then?).
> I´ve been known to use the same os version for nearly two
> years, so long as their are updates...
> Like I said, for me, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
> I don't need a lot of eye candy and entertainment stuff (except
> xmms to listen to tunes while I work).  I need to be able to edit and
> translate documents, communicate online...stuff like that.
> I try to keep it simple....One more reason why gnu/linux beats the
> pants of windows...I don´t have to have all kinds of unnecessary garbage
> on my machine everytime I install an os.

Actually, Dapper Drake is version 6.06, which is a Long Term Support
(LTS) release. The next LTS release is scheduled to be version 8.04,
which will be a direct upgrade from version 6.06. LTS versions have a
minimum of three years of support for the desktop version, and five
years for the server version. The regular releases have a minimum of 18
months support. You can verify this here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

The only truly experimental version released was Edgy, version 6.10,
when Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu´s parent company, requested as
much cutting edge software as possible be included as could be.

So, for stability, I would stay with dapper drake until the release of
the next LTS version, and then upgrade to that when it is released.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914