screen wavy after upgrade to Feisty - refresh rate? can't config display in kcontrol...

Charlie Kravetz cjk at
Fri Nov 16 00:34:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 18:05 -0500, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Caleb Marcus wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understood your message correctly, but if you're thinking
> > that Gutsy is the "unstable" release and Dapper is the "stable" release,
> > that's incorrect... both are stable, but Dapper is LTS, which means it's
> > supported for longer.
> I thought every other release was more experimental, being
> Edgy, and now Gutsy, and the others (dapper and feisty)
> were the more "stable (I guess longer support then?).
> I´ve been known to use the same os version for nearly two
> years, so long as their are updates...
> Like I said, for me, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
> I don't need a lot of eye candy and entertainment stuff (except
> xmms to listen to tunes while I work).  I need to be able to edit and
> translate documents, communicate online...stuff like that.
> I try to keep it simple....One more reason why gnu/linux beats the
> pants of windows...I don´t have to have all kinds of unnecessary garbage
> on my machine everytime I install an os.
Actually, Dapper Drake is version 6.06, which is a Long Term Support
(LTS) release. The next LTS release is scheduled to be version 8.04,
which will be a direct upgrade from version 6.06. LTS versions have a
minimum of three years of support for the desktop version, and five
years for the server version. The regular releases have a minimum of 18
months support. You can verify this here:

The only truly experimental version released was Edgy, version 6.10,
when Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu´s parent company, requested as
much cutting edge software as possible be included as could be.

So, for stability, I would stay with dapper drake until the release of
the next LTS version, and then upgrade to that when it is released.

Good luck,

Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914
Never let anyone steal your DREAM.