Dellbuntu 6400n

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at
Mon Nov 12 12:32:43 UTC 2007

Just to let you know, I bought s Dellbuntu 6400n for my sister who has never used Linux before.

This weekend, I went to hers to set it up.

All went very smoothly and aspects were just embarrassing!!

Bearing in mind, when I said I was gonna check that flash was running okay in youtube my sister replied 'What's YouTube?'

So, she bought herself a brand new HP OJ 6310 Printer/scanner/Copier/Fax (from a list recommended by me). She unboxed it, plugged the pluggable bits in. I then fired up gnome's default printing tool and then the embarrassment kicked in.

I was getting ready to talk her through how to set up the computer to recognise the printer when to my horror, everything had already been installed. I was stammering thinking, surely it can't be THAT easy and my sister asked 'when do we have to insert the installation CD?'.

Scanning was a breeze and nicely integrated with the system. Default location to save images from xsane  was ~/Pictures

The rest was equally as easy and my nephews are now impatient to have it on their laptops.

It's actually a nice little computer and the spec has just improved for UK customers at the same base price of 329 pounds.

Go get one for your sisters ;)

Disclaimer: Technically, I'm always wrong!!