bad ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso on Ubuntu website? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release

Richard Pember rbpember at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 18:00:15 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm a Ubuntu newbie, and in fact, a newbie to installing Linuxes of
any type so please bear with me
if I'm just being stupid and/or if I don't use the right terminology.
(I've been a user for 8 years,
but in a corporate setting where sys admins took care of installation, etc..)

I'm trying to installl 64 bit Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell Precision M6300.
I had already successfully
installed the x86 version -- so I know that I'm doing the right steps --
but I wanted to try the 64 bit one to try it out.

The problem is this: when I download and then burn the image of
ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso,
the files on the CD look incomplete: I don't see any "boot image", I
don't see a bin directory, etc.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release. Because
there's no boot file, the CD
itself won't boot, even if I do the usual F12 step and select CD as
the boot media while the machine is
booting.

I've downloaded the file on both a Windows machine and the x86 Linux
machine I just mentioned.
On Windows, I used Infrarecorder to burn the image and on Linux I used
"burn -iso -n ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso"
In both cases, the resulting disk was not bootable

I think the file on the website is just plain incorrect. Or could it
be a 64 bit thing? Has anyone successfully
used ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso from the cdimage website since its
October 16 update? If so, what how
did you do it? Alternatively, can anyone point me to good copy? Please
no bittorrent versions, unless you can explain
to me how to use that: I tried those yesterday, but the downloads
never got started.

Thank you for your patience,
Rick Pember