bad ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso on Ubuntu website? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Nov 9 18:28:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 10:00 -0800, Richard Pember wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Ubuntu newbie, and in fact, a newbie to installing Linuxes of
> any type so please bear with me
> if I'm just being stupid and/or if I don't use the right terminology.
> (I've been a user for 8 years,
> but in a corporate setting where sys admins took care of installation, etc..)
>
> I'm trying to installl 64 bit Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell Precision M6300.
> I had already successfully
> installed the x86 version -- so I know that I'm doing the right steps --
> but I wanted to try the 64 bit one to try it out.
>
> The problem is this: when I download and then burn the image of
> ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso,
> the files on the CD look incomplete: I don't see any "boot image", I
> don't see a bin directory, etc.
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release. Because
> there's no boot file, the CD
> itself won't boot, even if I do the usual F12 step and select CD as
> the boot media while the machine is
> booting.
>
> I've downloaded the file on both a Windows machine and the x86 Linux
> machine I just mentioned.
> On Windows, I used Infrarecorder to burn the image and on Linux I used
> "burn -iso -n ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso"
> In both cases, the resulting disk was not bootable

When I went to the above web page, there was a line before the file
listings:
If you need help burning these images to disk, see this guide. No where
in the guide could I find directions to burn following the way you did
in Linux. Please try to follow these directions quoted from that page:

Quote:
In Ubuntu
     1. Insert a blank CD into your burner. A "CD/DVD Creator" or
        "Choose Disc Type" window will pop up. Close this, as we will
        not be using it.

     2. Find the downloaded ISO image in the file browser (available at
        Places → Home menu on top of the screen.) Right click on the ISO
        image file and choose Write to Disc and wait for burning to
        complete.

End Quote.

> I think the file on the website is just plain incorrect. Or could it
> be a 64 bit thing? Has anyone successfully
> used ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso from the cdimage website since its
> October 16 update? If so, what how
> did you do it? Alternatively, can anyone point me to good copy? Please
> no bittorrent versions, unless you can explain
> to me how to use that: I tried those yesterday, but the downloads
> never got started.
>
> Thank you for your patience,
> Rick Pember

This procedure has worked for me for two years now. Before trying to use
the cd, I do run the ¨test this cd for defects¨. I have had one cd I
burned fail that test and saved myself some time.

Also, the 64-bit version is specific to the 64-bit cpu. If you do not
have one, it most likely will not work.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz