Kubuntu on a stick

Graham Watkins shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 9 17:34:26 UTC 2007

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 09:42 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 on a 2Mb data stick so I can run it
>> from non-linux computers. The install seemed to go OK and I can start it.
>>
>> However, I was under the impression that running linux in this manner
>> would, unlike running it from a CD, enable me to save changes to the
>> system and also files. This does not appear to work.
>>
>> I followed the installation method as described in
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/
>>
>> I have also tried the persistence fix as described in
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/27/making-ubuntu-710-casper-persistent/
>>
>> Anybody been down this route and been able to save their work?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Graham
>>

> Hi Graham.
>
> I tried the installation as given to see if I could help with this. My
> results were that I too can not save to the drive. It seems that the
> casper-rw drive partition which is supposed to be used to save the work
> to is owned by root and no one else is given write permission. My
> computer does not allow me to boot to the pendrive, so I can not give a
> definite answer, but I think you will, IMHO, need to either need to
> change the owner to yourself, or give group or others write permission.
> If you need assistance doing that, let me know and I´ll give you
> detailed directions how.
>
> Good luck,

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for taking the trouble to test it out.

However, I've made some progress since I posted to the list.  I created
user "usergraham" and gave said user admin rights.  Now I can save
settings and bookmarks etc.  What's more I've even installed Firefox as
I found that Konqueror, while a decent file manager, doesn't really cut
it as a browser.  I expect that hasn't left me much space though.

Linux on a stick is a pretty good trick for demo purposes although I've
found, as you did, that not every computer is able to boot from USB.

Cheers,

Graham