Kubuntu on a stick

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Nov 8 06:48:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 09:42 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 on a 2Mb data stick so I can run it
> from non-linux computers. The install seemed to go OK and I can start it.
>
> However, I was under the impression that running linux in this manner
> would, unlike running it from a CD, enable me to save changes to the
> system and also files. This does not appear to work.
>
> I followed the installation method as described in
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/
>
> I have also tried the persistence fix as described in
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/27/making-ubuntu-710-casper-persistent/
>
> Anybody been down this route and been able to save their work?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham

Hi Graham.

I tried the installation as given to see if I could help with this. My
results were that I too can not save to the drive. It seems that the
casper-rw drive partition which is supposed to be used to save the work
to is owned by root and no one else is given write permission. My
computer does not allow me to boot to the pendrive, so I can not give a
definite answer, but I think you will, IMHO, need to either need to
change the owner to yourself, or give group or others write permission.
If you need assistance doing that, let me know and I´ll give you
detailed directions how.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz