FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Nov 8 16:38:29 UTC 2007

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>> and "hostname -f"?
> chata at ubuntu:/etc$ hostname -f
> ubuntu

OK, I'm sure this is the problem.

>   I'm not sure what NIS (domainname) is for - but it's not
>> a default part of your network settings.  Your FQDN,
>> by default, is afaik
>> only defined by (a) the content of /etc/hosts

oops.  Sorry, I meant to write /etc/hostname.  Nevermind, though, you've got
that part working.

>  lchata at ubuntu:/etc$ cat hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 ubuntu
> 192.168.1.64    ubuntu

Ohhh...  I don't think you can do that.  Is "ubuntu" supposed to map to
192.168.1.64 or 127.0.1.1?

> and
>> the search/domain setting
>> of /etc/resolv.conf.
> lchata at ubuntu:/etc$ cat resolv.conf
> search gateway.2wire.net
> nameserver 192.168.1.254
>
> Ok, the above and what I posted suggested to me that:
> "ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net."

But gateway.2wire.net doesn't seem to resolve, either, which is why NoOp is
suggesting setting up a DDNS account.

> as corrected by NoOp is
> what my FQDN should be but what I need to know and
> don't is where to add it and how? Do I issue a command
> for hosts or hostname or what. Or do I just nano into
> some etc file and add the correct FQDN.

Since it's only amavis that seems to be complaining, there's almost
certainly somewhere in the amavis config where you can specify an FQDN, but
I've never used it.

Personally, I think you're trying to do too much.  Why don't you uninstall
amavis, and get your mail working _first_.

--
derek