FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 8 02:02:38 UTC 2007

Oh boy.  This is turning out to be even better than my
Samba issues.  My replies are below.
--- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 11/07/2007 01:22 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> not
> >>
> >> I'm sure you're right (because I already said
> that
> >> :-) )
> >>
> > Great, but I still don't know how to create one
> the
> > linux way.  My post asked for that info or at
> least
> > inferred it strongly.

> >> figure
> from
> >> the

> >> hostname
> >> domainname
> >> results
> >> Ubuntu
> >>
> >> and "hostname -f"?
> > chata at ubuntu:/etc$ hostname -f
> > ubuntu
> > lchata at ubuntu:/etc$
> > I tried all the options and they either gave
> "ubuntu"
> > or nothing.
> > lchata at ubuntu:/etc$
> >
> >   I'm not sure what NIS
> >> (domainname) is for - but it's not
> >> a default part of your network settings.  Your
> FQDN,
> >> by default, is afaik
> >> only defined by (a) the content of /etc/hosts
> >  lchata at ubuntu:/etc$ cat hosts
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> > 127.0.1.1 ubuntu
> > 192.168.1.64    ubuntu
> >
> > and
> >> the search/domain setting
> >> of /etc/resolv.conf.
> > lchata at ubuntu:/etc$ cat resolv.conf
> > search gateway.2wire.net
> > nameserver 192.168.1.254
>
> OK. Skip the . (.) et al; I was thinking that you
> were trying to set up
> an internet FQDN and it appears that Ubuntu doesn't
> require this.

My post is based on installation problems with
amavisd-new and the message saying I didn't have one
as shown on original post error output. My googling
did tend to indicate that I need a different fqdn for
different program needs which blows my mind. I was
hoping the list new what I needed for local mail(root
mail and to install amavisd-new.

http://www.forbiddenweb.org/viewtopic.php?id=11136&page=2

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/8980
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#myhostname

I'll review the above after this post.

> If you are looking to set gateway.2wire.net as a
> Ubuntu host domain name
> then try in your /etc/host file:
>
> 192.168.1.64 gateway.2wire.net

Ok. But not:
192.168.1.64 ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net

> etc.
>
> I sometimes wonder about FQDN being thrown about in
> faqs etc., as FQDN
> (Fully Qualified Domain Name) is the _complete_
> domain name for a
> computer or host on the *internet* or an intranet.
> In the case of
> gateway.2wire.net, the FQDN is broken down as:
>
> gateway = host
> 2wire = domain
> net = top level domain or tld

OK. that means my question above is wrong.

> So "Domain Name" would be considered as 2wire.net
> and FQDN (Fully
> Qualified Domain Name) would be gateway.2wire.net.

I'll add that to /etc/host and see what happens.  And
yes, the move I read about fqdn the more confused I
get.  Thanks for trying; it's appreciated.

> --

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net