Mouse drift on Dell Latitude c840 running Feisty 7.04

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Mon May 14 17:56:50 UTC 2007

Adam wrote:
> Last week I installed Feisty 7.04 on my Dell Latitude c840 laptop. I was
> very impressed that most things worked auto-magically without manual
> configuration. However, support for my laptop's touchpad seems to be
> very lacking. I don't have a desk, so using an external mouse isn't
> really possible.
>
> The issue is that the mouse cursor has a mind of its own, wandering to
> (and getting stuck in) either the upper-right or lower-left corner of
> the screen. I've seen others post similar reports, but so far I haven't
> seen any resolution that works on my laptop.
> <snip>

I have a Dell Latitude C600 running Feisty and XP in dualboot.  Both
OSes have the same issues.  I also had the problem with Windows 2000 and
Mandriva Linux on this machine.  The problem seems to come from the flat
cable that connects the touchpad to the motherboard.  I also have a
problem with my keyboard (same connector type).  Pushing against the
handrest seems to temporarily fix the problem...

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 195048, 164158, 279022, 323762