ligGL*.a in Feisty?

Severin Schoepke severin.schoepke at gmail.com
Wed May 9 17:34:43 UTC 2007

Hi list!

Today, I upgraded my development machine to Feisty. All went nicely (I have
a NVidia card and used envy in Edgy to install the latest driver. I
uninstalled the envy-driver and envy prior to upgrading, as it is advised
and then installed the nvidia driver in feisty again. No need to use envy
anymore, since a fairly recent version is in the official repos).
But when I tried to recompile a project I'm working on ld exited with an
error that libGL was not found. Since I haven't uninstalled any packages
after the upgrade, I was very surprised, that things don't work any more. So
I began to investigate the case :-)
I found out that libgl1-mesa-* (the glx version in my case) provides
libGL.so, so I imagined that libgl1-mesa-*-dev would provide the
corresponding development libraries (libGL.a). Strangely, there is no
libgl1-mesa-glx-dev, but the description of libgl1-mesa-dev said that this
package provides the dev files for GLX. I installed this package, but my
project's build error did stay...
So I inspected the package (libgl1-mesa-dev) closer: I saw that this package
does not include any headers and dev libraries, as one would imagine...

So finally coming to my question: What package provides libGL.a in Feisty?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

cheers, Severin