A Weird Problem after Installing Feisty

das paagol at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:52:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 21:03 +0530, Madhusudan C.S wrote:
> He feels that even Windows problem might have occured because of
> Feisty installation. Please help us.

This is quite surprising. In our local linux organization I have myself
installed Ubuntu on at least 20 machines, and (alas, it is true) in all
the machines except mine, with a MS-Windows already working there. Not
in a single case this has happened. Though, as a precaution, from my
prior experiences while installing SuSE or Slack or Fedora, I have
ensured that, there is no NTFS, and if it is there, at least it does not
check the fs on that partition during the boot, by changing the fstab.

Was your friend's MSW on an NTFS?

And if its MSW Vista, I know nothing. In none of the machines it was
there. Another thing may happen, your friend's machine's FAT of the MSW
partition did already have some errors that got manifest. Even that is
not quite common. Ubuntu is the most peaceful thing in living together
with MSW, at least in my experience.

If its XP, has he tried the Error Correction mode with the Installer CD?
Did it work?

---
das