A Weird Problem after Installing Feisty

Madhusudan C.S madhusudancs at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:12:09 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, das <paagol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 21:03 +0530, Madhusudan C.S wrote:
> > He feels that even Windows problem might have occured because of
> > Feisty installation. Please help us.
>
> This is quite surprising. In our local linux organization I have myself
> installed Ubuntu on at least 20 machines, and (alas, it is true) in all
> the machines except mine, with a MS-Windows already working there. Not
> in a single case this has happened. Though, as a precaution, from my
> prior experiences while installing SuSE or Slack or Fedora, I have
> ensured that, there is no NTFS, and if it is there, at least it does not
> check the fs on that partition during the boot, by changing the fstab.
>
> Was your friend's MSW on an NTFS?

No it is on Fat32.

And if its MSW Vista, I know nothing. In none of the machines it was
> there. Another thing may happen, your friend's machine's FAT of the MSW
> partition did already have some errors that got manifest. Even that is
> not quite common. Ubuntu is the most peaceful thing in living together
> with MSW, at least in my experience.

He  uses  Windows XP  and not Vista.

If its XP, has he tried the Error Correction mode with the Installer CD?
> Did it work?

Where is the Error Correction mode availalble. On Windows CD or Ubuntu CD?
He told me one thing now. He had started the installation once and during
that process he hadn't deleted his swap partition that he had for Fedora and
he had not recreated the swap itseems. Then after the 5% of the installation
process it had given the following error itseems
"ext3 filesystem creation in partition #9 of SCSI(0,0,0)(sda) failed"
something similar to this.

So then he had halted the installation procedure and without even restarting
the LiveCD he had started the installation again. But this time during the
partiton selection he had deleted both the ext3 partition and swap and he
had recreated new ones itseems.

---
> das

Thank you a lot for replying