Via CLE266 & Wine

Anthony M Simonelli a.simonelli at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 31 22:52:43 UTC 2007

I have Ubuntu 6.10 and LTSP running.  I am using an HP
T5125, for my thin clients.  These thin clients have a
Via S3 Graphics card with 16 MB UMA shared video
memory and support a maximum video resolution of
1280x1024, 24 bit @ 85 Hz.  The Via graphics are
auto-detected when the clients boot as having the
CLE266 chipset.  These clients run great except for
when I go to use WINE, my  X session is killed and I'm
kicked back to a login screen.

The SYSLOG gives the following output:

 kernel: [17179995.544000] mtrr: base(0xe8000000) is
not aligned on a size(0x2080000) boundary
 kernel: [17179995.552000] agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0
compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
 kernel: [17179995.552000] agpgart: Putting AGP V2
device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
 kernel: [17179995.552000] agpgart: Putting AGP V2
device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode

I tried all types of resolutions and color depths but
one of them helped.  I even tried to set the video ram
but no luck.  The only way I got it working was by
telling the clients to use the VESA driver instead of
the VIA driver, and then WINE works without killing my
  session.  The problem with using the VESA driver is
that it has no acceleration so the rest of the desktop
is a bit sluggish, especially Evolution & Firefox.

Questions: Does anyone know of a problem with running
WINE using the VIA driver?  Is there some changes in
WINE that I can make to allow it to run with the VIA
driver?  Is there any way to get the VESA driver to
perform better (the performance is noticeable,
especially on the thin client)?  Is there a fix or a
bug with the VIA CLE266?