[Feisty] Normal ways to kill xserver don't work

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Tue Mar 20 03:44:53 UTC 2007

Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi> writes:

> Sorry for taking so long to answer, but after I installed Nvidia
> 1.0-9755 driver my system wouldn't boot anymore (the driver worked
> until the first reboot). I got an error message about some
> incompatible kernel modules. Trying to boot with the previous kernel
> version didn't help.

are you using the Nvidia drivers from Ubuntu or Nvidia?  That is, are
you compiling the drivers yourself?

if you are, do you have the linux-headers installed?

It's been awhile since I needed to compile the Nvidia drivers myself.
You do realize the drivers need both kernel modules and X drivers?

--
John L. Fjellstad