iTune files

Chris racerx at
Sun Mar 18 14:38:27 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>>> You can probably convert them to ogg using the program ffmpeg2theora (it
>>> also converts to vorbis); you can install it from the repositories.  Try
>>> a command like:
>>> find ~/MyMusic -name "*.mp4" -execdir ffmpeg2theora "{}" ";"
>>> Matt Flaschen
>> Isn't the above for video only? As I mentioned, the purchased music from
>> iTunes is m4p (ACC). From listing the help of the above file, I'm lead
>> to think this app won't do what I would like it to do.
> I'm positive ffmpeg2theora can convert audio to vorbis alone; it's just
> misnamed. :)  Quoting from the man page, "ffmpeg2theora is a program
> that converts any media file that ffmpeg can decode to Ogg Theora for
> video and Ogg Vorbis for audio."  I just checked by encoding an MP3, but
> it should work for MP4/AAC too, since that's supported by ffmpeg.
> By the way, I'm very impressed by ffmpeg in general.  It deserves more
> credit in general.
> Matt Flaschen

Aha - I see that. I tried to use this app however, it could not do what
I wanted it to. The thing is, iTunes has 3 file formats.

m4a - files you rip from a CD and have converted to ACC (these are
unprotected, not iTune purchased music files.

m4p - the music files you purchase and download from iTunes. These are
the files that are DRM.

and lastly (I don't recall the extension), the files you purchase that
are movies - case in point, I purchased THHGTHG.

The m4a format I can listen to under Amarok without issues. It's the m4p
files (DRM's) that I can't convert or play.

Granted, I tried using Jhymn (I think that's it) however, since I used
iTunes 7+, Jhymn can't and won't work on my m4p's. Reason being, Jhymn
works on m4p's that were purchased with iTunes v6 and below.

At this point, I do have the whole 17 gig worth of my iTunes on DVD.
I'll have to wait for some wizard out there to either come up with a
version of iTunes that works under Linux, or wait for an app that will
rid the m4p's of the protection. *Sigh*

Best regards,

Professional sample - not for sale.