iTune files

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Mar 18 09:04:51 UTC 2007

Chris wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>>> I use Amarok also. Yes, I can play the m4a (for those that don't know -
>>> m4a are the file you you add to iTunes via some other process - IE: rip
>>> from CD. Whereas the m4p are the AAC files you purchase from iTunes).
>> You can probably convert them to ogg using the program ffmpeg2theora (it
>> also converts to vorbis); you can install it from the repositories.  Try
>> a command like:
>>
>> find ~/MyMusic -name "*.mp4" -execdir ffmpeg2theora "{}" ";"
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> Isn't the above for video only? As I mentioned, the purchased music from
> iTunes is m4p (ACC). From listing the help of the above file, I'm lead
> to think this app won't do what I would like it to do.

I'm positive ffmpeg2theora can convert audio to vorbis alone; it's just
misnamed. :)  Quoting from the man page, "ffmpeg2theora is a program
that converts any media file that ffmpeg can decode to Ogg Theora for
video and Ogg Vorbis for audio."  I just checked by encoding an MP3, but
it should work for MP4/AAC too, since that's supported by ffmpeg.

By the way, I'm very impressed by ffmpeg in general.  It deserves more
credit in general.

Matt Flaschen