Speed up opengl...

Anthony Gabrielson agabriel at home.tzo.org
Tue Mar 6 02:58:31 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, David Delony <ickyelf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>

> Intel video chips are very slow, and yours looks quite old on top of
> that, which only makes things worse.
> Also, with ATI cards, the free driver gives very poor performance (my
> experiments with a Radeon 9250 showed the free driver was about 4 times
> slower than the proprietary driver!), but Intel chips are Linux friendly
> and have free drivers that work well out of the box, AFAIK, so it's
> likely that the driver is giving you all the (modest) performance that
> the chip has to offer.
>
> So basically if it's slow, it's normal...
>

> While we're at it, how well does Ubuntu support the fancy
> workstation-class cards. I'm thinking of using it for a special effects
> workstation down the line.

Does x.org accelerate OpenGL at all?  I may be mistaken but isn't a product
like Accelerated X needed to offload OpenGL where it belongs?  Beyond the
obvious reasons I really think offloaded OpenGL is going to be significant
in the future for Linux desktops.  Although Mesa is a great project I don't
think its going to cut it in the long term.

Anthony