Speed up opengl...

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Mar 6 04:52:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 21:58 -0500, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:

> Does x.org accelerate OpenGL at all?  I may be mistaken but isn't a
> product like Accelerated X needed to offload OpenGL where it belongs?
> Beyond the obvious reasons I really think offloaded OpenGL is going to
> be significant in the future for Linux desktops.  Although Mesa is a
> great project I don't think its going to cut it in the long term.

You have missed at least the last 5 years of XFree86/Xorg development.
Mesa is fine, was integrated into XFree86 years ago and acccelerates
OpenGL very well. The only remaining issue is driver support.
Intel supplies free/open drivers for all their recent cards, but those
cards are often no speed demons (easily enough for 3D-accelerated
desktop environments, but might not be enough for some gaming people).
Otherwise Nvidia is a good choice, the drivers are proprietary but work
well in general, and the cards are fast.
Stay away from ATI, their proprietary drivers suck and don't even work
for 3D desktops