network newbie question

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 22:07:44 UTC 2007

Patton Echols wrote:
> Oh, ok, I thought OP was talking about a peer network. I don't run any
> "servers" in the proper sense.

I'd tend to fix it as long as it acts as a server.  That's my practice.

> Hmmm, well I ran my office for a number of years (first win 98, then mix
> 98-XP and now all XP) on DHCP only.  The only problem we ran into
> regularly was that the router got flaky after a week or two of uptime.
> It got replaced about the time we switched to the mostly static model we
> use now.  The new unit is less flaky, but whether it has anything to do
> with the IP's I have no idea.  (We switched  for unrelated reasons)

Well, yea.  Sometimes, the problem may lie with the router.

> Oh, I'm sure not arguing.  I think we're on the same page.
I'm sure your not.  But, I just to clarify, your just asking me why I
reserve a static IP for the Windoze machine, right?

>   I was just suggesting that if the OP is having troubles with a peer network, using
> DHCP should not be the reason that the linux box can't see the windows
> box.  There is probably some other configuration issue.
As I've said, I'm using DHCP too. I suppose when U say, "using DHCP", U
mean not setting a static IP for the server?   Well, I've had no
troubles with my Linux machines so far, but when it comes to Windoze
machines accessing other Windoze machines, more often than not, I would
encounter problems resolvable only by rebooting or issuing the ipconfig
/flushdns command.  Call me paranoid, but I personally think that it's
better to be safe than to be sorry.

Also, theoretically, it'll be faster if the Linux machine knows
instantaneously which IP to go for.  This benefit might not be so
apparent in a home network, but in a large organisation, it helps.

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan
http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com