Opinions learning Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Roger Neth Jr baypos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 22:46:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 17:54 -0400, Chris wrote:
> Thanks Bruce for the quick response.
>
> My background..ok I own a computer manufacturing and service company
> with MS Windows as the primary OS....but I would like to change that. I
> would like to offer a Linux based OS as an option on new computers. I
> spoke with some other small OEMs that offer Ubuntu and other distro of
> Linux and would like to learn as mush as I could about it.  We also do
> commercial IT work for a few companys and would like to get involved,
> evanually and slowly over to Linux on there server to start and then the
> workstations..maybe as a "thin-client" system...which I know little
> about.  I just can't seem to get the information fast enough...and can't
> seem to find something that walks me through all the things that every
> book seems to assume that you know already.
>
> Suse seemed pretty good...I think I learned a decent amount about
> it....but for 9 months I feel that I should know more.  The reason for
> this is like I said earlier.  The books are decent..but there are some
> missing steps that I needed to complete a particular step in learn a
> specific task...and when the questions came up...I got a lot of smart
> ass answers (from the community support) instead of real answers.  Also
> I get a real bad feeling about the version of Suse that I started on,
> which was SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop) which is supposed to be
> the hardened version...and almost bullet proof...acording to Novel.  I
> talked many time with Novel's tech guys...and after many issues with the
> OS and no real answers from Novel...I though it would be a good idea to
> check out some other distros...thinking, if this is there "hardened"
> version of the OS...I'm worried.
>
> So now to Ubuntu.  I want learn it...not as much as a user, but more of
> an administrator. Of course I need to learn the user side of it also.
> Understanding and being able to really use the command line/terminal end
> of the OS and getting into the nity grity is important...but I really
> don't know where to start.  Some of the commands that worked in Suse
> don't work in Ubuntu....like the root user being disabled....?
> What do you guys think?
> Chris
>

> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 17:33 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Monday 04 June 2007, Chris wrote:
> > >     Also, even though I really like KDE should I learn on Kubuntu or
> > >         should
> > >         I concentrate on Ubuntu and then after I have a good idea what
> > >         I'm
> > >         doing, then go to Kubuntu/
> > >
> > >         I'm an IT professional that is trying to get heavily into
> > >         Ubuntu/Linux
> > >         and still having an issue getting a handle on things.
> >
> > It might help if you filled us in on your background a bit first.   You spent
> > 9 months with SuSE is all we know and you might add how well you did with
> > that.
> >
> > All linux's are pretty much the same, just the admin parts usually differ a
> [...]

Hello Chris,

I have been using Ubuntu as a production desktop for over a year w/o
much Linux experience and no problems with learning it while using it.

There are plenty of books e.g. "Ubuntu Hacks", Ubuntu Linux for
Non-Geeks, etc.

I haven't found much on the server side besides what is in the online
docs, I could be mistaken and please correct me if missing server info.

HTH

Roger

Titus 2:10