Info regarding Ubuntu

debiani386 debiani386 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 03:43:54 UTC 2007

Robin_Sharma at Dell.com wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I came to know about Ubuntu Operating System from the Internet and it
> looks very exciting to me.
>
> I would like to install this software on my system. Please guide me
> with this as I have few questions.
>
> I am using a Dell Notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium Installed
> on it.
>
> Can I install the Ubuntu on this notebook, along with Windows Vista?
>
> I want to know that Can I install Ubuntu  on my notebook along with
> Windows Vista. Can I use the Dual boot option thereby keeping both
> Windows Vista and Ubuntu.
>

> If it is possible please let me know the steps that I need to follow
> to complete this installation. I think that the boot loaders are
> different for Vista as well as Ubuntu.
>
> Also from where can I get the drivers for the Dell Notebook after
> installing the Ubuntu on it.
>
> Please reply back as soon as possible.
>
> Regards
>
> Robin Sharma
>
> Tech Support Expert
>
> Dell Computers

To install ubuntu and dualboot to vista (why would you want to dualboot
to vista anyways?), you will need to have 3 partitions. 1 for windows, 1
for ubuntu and 1 for the ubuntu swap. More then likely, the manufacturer
has set NTFS to accumulate 100% of your hard drive, so you will need to
defragment the hard drive and resize the partition. I would recommend
resizing the NTFS to about 50% of the hard drive and have the other 50%
to ubuntu.

Heres the partition sizes i recommend:
/   == 4 gig
/swap == 1 gig

notes: / is where ubuntu installs itself and runs.. /swap is the
samething is Pagefile (also known as Virtual memory in windows).

And yes, the boot loaders are way different. Ubuntu uses Grub (you can
change the bootloaders in linux as well. but the default is grub) and
windows uses its own thing.

HTH
--cj