Info regarding Ubuntu

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Jun 1 05:37:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 08:58 +0530, Robin_Sharma at Dell.com wrote:

> If it is possible please let me know the steps that I need to follow
> to complete this installation.

If you use teh "Desktop" install CD, you will boot from it into a fully
functional Ubuntu system that runs completely from CD (nothing gets
installed). When you are happy what you see, you can click the "Install"
Icon on the desktop. You will be asked 4 simple questions or so, and
then the installer will make your Windows partition smaller and install
Ubuntu on a new partition. This will all happen automatically, and if
you use Ubuntu 7.04, it will even try to migrate some of your Windows
data, though I am not sure how well this works with Ubuntu.
Afterwards you can choose between Ubuntu and Vista at boot time.

There is a lot of information that you may want to read prior to
installing, here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Especially this installation guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

You will also want to read here: https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/

> Also from where can I get the drivers for the Dell Notebook after
> installing the Ubuntu on it.

Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is different: the drivers are usually part
of the kernel (unless you have exotic/problematic hardware). This helps
with operating system stability, since they are maintained by the kernel
team and not by random programmers at the hardware vendor who may or may
not know what they are doing.

As a result, things should "just work" (or not, if you are unlucky; ask
here in this case. Remember that you can try out everything before even
installing).

> Tech Support Expert
> Dell Computers

You should be able to get information about hardware compatibility
in-house:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs