Feisty Install: slow to bring up apps

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 24 14:41:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:44:01 -0500
Brian Fahrlander <brian at fahrlander.net> wrote:

>  Almost everything is slow; Firefox, Thunderbird, about the only
> thing that seems the same is UnrealTournament and trivial apps like
> desktop games and such.
>
>      Anyone got a clue? [I'm not even sure how to research this one...]

Shot in the dark...

Check your loopback interface in /etc/network/interfaces. Should be
something like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Also /etc/hosts for your machine: something like

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost yourhostname

I've heard of people having extreme slowdowns when the loopback is
misconfigured - so this is just a guess, really.

Peter