HP LaserJet 4050 help

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Sun Jul 15 22:44:48 UTC 2007

Wade Smart wrote:

>> SteVe Cook wrote:

>>> That will just echo it to the screen. We're trying to send it to the
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> Sorry, I forgot you had to be 'root' to do it.
>>>
>>> So
>>>
>>> # sudo su
>>>
>>> then
>>>
>>> # echo "Printer test" > /dev/lp0
>>> # echo "^L" > /dev/lp0
>>>
>>> This should print 'Printer test' and feed a sheet of paper.
>>>
>>> You could just do the last line which will just feed a sheet of paper
>>> if you don't want to waste any.
>>>
>>> SteVe
>>>

>> 07152007 1607 GMT-6 DST
>>
>> Ok. Even with trying su I get Permission Denied.
>>
>> wade
>>

> 07152007 1630 GMT-6 DST
>
> Ok. I found this command:
> wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ lpinfo -v
> network socket
> network beh
> network bluetooth
> direct hpfax
> direct hp:/par/HP_LaserJet_4050_Series?device=/dev/parport0
> network http
> network ipp
> network lpd
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> direct canon:/dev/lp0
> direct epson:/dev/lp0
> direct scsi
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
> network smb
>
> so I tried the command you gave with /dev/parport0 instead of lp0.
> Nothing. I tried it after doing sudo -i and received Invalid argument.
>
> So I tried lp0 again after sudo -i and not I dont have anything echoing
> to the screen but, I also do not have any printer activity.
>
> Well, I am seeing life!!
> Opps, too soon.
> Im seeing, "Data Received"  and "Processing Job" but nothing is happening.
> Just for kicks I did a Factory Reset of Settings on the printer (since
> it was given to me) and as soon as I hit the button for echo "^L"
> ....etc I see "Processing Job" but still no action.
>
> Wade

07152007 1742 GMT-6 DST

A little more searching lead me to a post of some one with the exact
same problem. A user responded back:

think there are two possible solutions:
Try first: Set an allowed user
[localhost:631 <http://localhost:631/printers/>] click on `Set allowed
users` and type in the names of the users allowed to use the printer. If
your login name is john and you also want to be able to print as root
type:root, john

Second (I had this problem):
[localhost:631 <http://localhost:631/printers/>] click on `modify
printer` and choose for Device: LPT#1

They said to use the Assistant to do this - in Debian Etch. Looking at
the first possible solution, how do I do this as Im not really sure what
this is referring to.

wade