Running Ubuntu under Windows/running a Windows app under Ubuntu

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:56:50 UTC 2007

On 28/01/07, Akshay Lamba <akshay at lambaweb.com> wrote:
> Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > 1. use Linux and run the Windows apps (e.g. ArcView GIS 3.x and ArcGIS
> > 9.x) under some compatibility environment;
> >
> You could try to run the win apps under wine.
> > 2. use Linux and run Windows XP in a virtual computing environment
> > (like Virtual PC on Mac and now also on Windows);
> >
> I would recommend this, vmware player is in one of the repositories for
> ubuntu and a quick apt-get will set u up.
> > 3. use Windows XP and run Linux in a virtual computing environment
> > (the free? Virtual PC 2004 app).
> >
> > Questions...
> > I. Has anyone run the free (?) Virtual PC 2004 app under Windows with
> > Ubuntu? (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx)
> >
> > 2. Can I run Windows under Linux or a Windows app under Linux?
> >
> Windows under linux = vmware player/workstation
> Windows app under linux =wine

I'd primarily like to run the Intel box as an Ubuntu server, but
sometimes I'd like to be able to boot into Windows and run that same
server as a virtual machine in Windows.

I'm going to play with VMWare Player under Windows and see if it'll
allow me to use a disk as the source of the operating system
(according to the Wikipedia entry VMware is able to do that _but_ that
entry didn't mention which VMware product would do that... not sure if
VMware Player will do that).