Problem installing Ubuntu

Chris Gilland clgilland07 at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jan 30 13:10:00 UTC 2007

This is totally bazaar.  I'm using the exact same CD that I used before when
I installed Ubuntu on my desktop machine.  I'm trying to put it on my laptop
which is a Dell Inspiron E1505.  Granted, as I sated before, I don't have
enough vision to read what is on the screen, however, I can tell that after
booting to the CD, then hitting F5, 3, enter, enter, the installer with Orca
speech is not starting.  I'm getting a lot of textual errors on the screen.
I had this same problem with the desktop machine which is a Gateway DX300S,
however after fiddling with it, about two or 3 at most times, it took off
and worked.  However, on the laptop, it's hanging, regardless.  When my
grandmother read the screen to me, upon origionally trying to get it on the
desktop, we determined that there was about 4 or 5 IO errors that popped up.
however, my Gateway, didn't really think too much of it, as it finally
worked just fine.  The laptop though is hanging no matter what I try, or how
hard I try.  When I talked yesterday with a member of this list, on the
phone, who's name I won't mention, out of respect for the individual, they
told me, that they didn't see any reason why this shouldn't be working.  He
or she even sat there on the phone with me while I tried to do it, and it
didn't work.  We both had the exact same theory that something in the
checksum value wasn't correct.  I reburned the CD, this time, instead of to
a Memorex True color CD-R, I put it on just a regular Imation CD-R,
wondering if maybe not only was the CD itself bad, but perhaps maybe that
manufacturer of discs wasn't the greatest for data, as usually I use those
Memorexes for audio only.  Anyway, I'm still having the same issue, and
what's really really even more weird, is in the Desktop when I boot to CD,
then I do the F5, 3, enter enter, The installer freezes even before getting
to the part where I got the IO errors.  Now on the laptop, after the F5, 3,
enter enter, I get a graffical dialog, again can't read it, but I can tell
that the majority of it has a white colored background, and the top of the
box is a bright blood red with I think white letters on the foreground, but
don't quote me on that.  I know most likely that could be anything, but I
still felt I should give all the detail I can.  I guess I could redownload
the iso, then reburn it again, a third time, which I don't mind doing, as I
do have more than plenty blank CD's, but Im still not really sure why this
exact disc worked once, and now won't.  I've not made any hardware
modifications since.  According to properties under windows XP Home Edition
SP2, When I right click the file, and then click properties through Windows
Explorer, I'm showing that the iso is 698MB
732,293,120 bytes.  The file I downloaded from the Ubuntu web site is called
ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso

Perhaps, did I get the wrong thing for a laptop?  That desktop-i386, kind a
makes me wonder.  The person whom I spoke with yesterday, said, no, it's the
same iso for both types of systems, desktops and laptops, so I'm just
totally puzzled what happened to my origional CD, and even more weirdly why
when I burn the exact iso that once worked, will it not work now if I
re-burn it.  In fact, I seem even to recall that I did redownload it once
when I saw it didn't work, come to think of it.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help on this.  I just don't know what the
next thing would be to try.  I'm leaning twoard redownloading the image
again, but if I've done that already about 2 or 3 times, then what
legitimate reason do I have to believe it'll work this time.  LOL!  Smile.

Chris.