Palm Pilot no longer connects after upgrade to Edgy

Heike C. Zimmerer nospam06q3 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 25 09:28:54 UTC 2007

Dave M G wrote:

> > $ install-user -p /dev/ttyUSB1
> > Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyUSB1... connected!
> > Palm user: Dave
> > UserID: 21498

Fine.  This means HotSync worked and your setup is basically working.
It's probably just the device name that needs to be set up / changed.

> > I've never heard of $PILOTPORT until you mentioned it just now.
> >
> > What is it, should I set it, and if so, how?

It is a shell variable which tells the pilot utilities which port they
should use.  From what I remember (please correct me, if anyone knows
better): Earlier versions of the pilot-link utilities (which is what
jpilot uses to do the actual transfer) had a built-in default
(/dev/pilot) for the device which could be overwritten by setting the
PILOTPORT variable.

Never versions don't have a default any more, they rely on either
PILOTRATE being set or the device being explicitly given as part of
the command.

You might try one of the following suggestions:

- check your device settings in your jpilot preferences

- from your command line:

    export PILOTPORT=/dev/ttyUSB1
    jpilot

- if that doesn't help (assuming your former device setting was
  /dev/pilot and has somehow survived (though it shouldn't)):

    sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

Heike