Why is adding a new Ubuntu PC to an existing LAN such a pain?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Jan 21 15:20:29 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 11:15 +0000, Bob Adams wrote:
> And it wouldn't be a pain at all if the install script just asked a
> simple "DHCP? Yes/No" question.

The "Alternate Install" CD does. The "Desktop Install" CD does not have
the option yet because there was not enough development time (see bug
reports below)

> As for other comments later in this thread from users who have clearly
> not actually tried what I am describing, I would like to know how on
> earth one is supposed to enter scripts, setup, etc, etc, when the PC is
> not responding to any commands. No shell, no menu activity, nothing. All
> you can do to get back some control is to reboot and that is far too
> like Windows for my liking.

I still maintain that I _have put machines (but none with 6.10) that
were set to use DHCP in networks without a DHCP server and I have not
have the same experience as you. In fact what you describe looks like a
grave bug if it happens, have you searched the bug reports in Launchpad?

I found some that complain about forcing DHCP in the default install and
similar stuff, but not describes the non-responsiveness that you see.
Maybe you could add your info or create a new report so that it can be
fixed.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/18195
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/57681
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-system-tools/+bug/78493