Why is adding a new Ubuntu PC to an existing LAN such a pain?

John R Cichy john at greengator.com
Sun Jan 21 00:44:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 00:08 +0000, Bob Adams wrote:

> >Adding machines to a network without DHCP is _always a pain :) Is there
> >a special reason why you use static addresses?
> >
> Because I do not have a DHCP server and also because I want to use the
> same addresses as my Windows PC's.

I hope you mean the same subnet, or that the windows machines are
powered down when the Ubuntu machines are running (though still can't be
sure why you would do this except in a dual-boot situation). Two
computers can NOT share IP's on the network. That would be like you
sharing the same phone number with your neighbor.

John