100-200 load average on an idle system: Help!

Thorne Lawler thorin at trouble.net.au
Wed Jan 10 01:41:13 UTC 2007

Steen,

Many thanks for your reply.

Steen Eugen Poulsen wrote:
> Thorne Lawler wrote:
>> Tasks: 362 total,   2 running, 360 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>
> Thats an insane number of processes.your running around 300 processes
> more than make sense for a fresh machine.
>
> Even my fully loaded multi service server is just hitting 130.

This is a multi-service machine itself, and not exactly brand new. It
runs a web-server, an IMAP server, and postfix tricked out with a
multitude of filters. I could see the number of processes getting large,
but now that you point it out, I'm kicking myself for not just paging
through a complete ps to see what was making up the numbers.

> Mem:    499648k total,   489568k used,    10080k free,    21220k buffers
> Swap:  1502068k total,       88k used,  1501980k free,   159440k cached
>
> 362 processes but not a matching memory load... You have some runaway
> script that spawns itself over and over, perhaps they are all blocking
> reading the same shared mutex (load without CPU usage).

Thanks. I will check this possibility out when I next see the load going
high.

--
Thorne Huw Lawler         trouble.net.au
"Croup and Vandermar, the Old Firm. Obstacles