100-200 load average on an idle system: Help!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 9 15:58:33 UTC 2007

Steen Eugen Poulsen wrote:

> Thorne Lawler wrote:
>> Tasks: 362 total,   2 running, 360 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>
> Thats an insane number of processes.your running around 300 processes
> more than make sense for a fresh machine.

It's a lot - but 300?  On my system:

Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

That's a fresh Edgy install with fetchmail, masqmail, dovecot,
network-manager, nxserver, & apache added.  There may be a few other things
but not a lot.  If I start up Tomcat, the process count increases
meteorically.  Since he's running a server, one would expect at least as
many - likely more - processes to be required for mail & web.

I have 48 personal processes - I'm logged in via NX, so that takes a few.
The only thing I'm personally running that isn't used is bluetoothd - which
edgy installed automatically.

Of the remaining processes, that aren't default in edgy: NX is running 5,
mail (fetchmail, masqmail, dovecot) are running 7, Apache 7.

I don't see how you could get down to 60 and still have a user on the
system.
--
derek