Pixma MP 800 drivers?

David B Teague davidbteague at verizon.net
Sat Jan 6 02:21:51 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:
> David B Teague wrote:
>
>> I am looking at a Canon Pixma MP800 "all in one" printer/scanner/copier.
>> <snip>
>> I have found "Turboprint" which provides free of cost, non-free drivers for
>> many printer and combination devices at
>>
>> http://www.turboprint.de/english.html
>>
>> <snip> Does anyone have experience with Turboprint? <snip>
>
> Very nice printer, but unfortunately Cannon hasn't gotten on the Linux
> bandwagon yet so you'll find no support from them.
>
> The Turboprint drivers are only free for demo. To run the printer you'll
> need to purchase the Turboprint license. It is well worth it & I
> *highly* recommend it - it will be the best EUR 29.95 (approx. US$ 39)
> you spend on your printer.
>
> After you install your licensed version of Turboprint you'll want to
> scan with your printer; for that I recommend:
>
> http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/ubuntu-howto.html
> [How to install Sane driver for Canon Pixma Scanner on Ubuntu 6.06 LST
> Dapper - I think that this should work in Edgy as well, if not drop
> Wittawat Yamwong a note & I'm sure he'll help you get it working]
>
> Also be sure to read:
> http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/
> Note that there is no support for film scanning (yet)
>

> Then install XSANE and Gimp & off you go.
>
> G. Lee
> Cannon Pixma MP750 w/Turboprint (licensed)

Thanks.

I was under the impression that Turboprint drivers were free for
continued use by an individual not doing commercial work. From what you
say that is incorrect. I don't mind spending $40 for drivers, and your
advice helps me to believe that device is the way to go. I have a
Visioneer scanner for which there is no Linux support, and a well worn
HP laserjet 6L. There are several well worn printers sitting around that
my (now deceased) wife used and knew how to make
work. I look forward to Ubuntu and this multifunction printer etc.

Warmest Regards
David Teague