Pixma MP 800 drivers?

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri Jan 5 17:09:29 UTC 2007

David B Teague wrote:
> I am looking at a Canon Pixma MP800 "all in one" printer/scanner/copier.
> How do I find whether this works with  Linux in gneral and with Ubuntu in
> particular?
>
> I have found "Turboprint" which provides free of cost, non-free drivers for
> many printer and combination devices at
>
> http://www.turboprint.de/english.html
>
> and I was told about a Russian site that also provides similar drivers.
>
> Does anyone have experience with Turboprint? Does anyone know of
> other (Debian definition of free) drivers?
>
> Warmest Regards
> David Teague

Very nice printer, but unfortunately Cannon hasn't gotten on the Linux
bandwagon yet so you'll find no support from them.

The Turboprint drivers are only free for demo. To run the printer you'll
need to purchase the Turboprint license. It is well worth it & I
*highly* recommend it - it will be the best EUR 29.95 (approx. US$ 39)
you spend on your printer.

After you install your licensed version of Turboprint you'll want to
scan with your printer; for that I recommend:

http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/ubuntu-howto.html
[How to install Sane driver for Canon Pixma Scanner on Ubuntu 6.06 LST
Dapper - I think that this should work in Edgy as well, if not drop
Wittawat Yamwong a note & I'm sure he'll help you get it working]
Also be sure to read:
http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/
Note that there is no support for film scanning (yet)

Then install XSANE and Gimp & off you go.

G. Lee
Cannon Pixma MP750 w/Turboprint (licensed)