Printing.

Shawn McCuan smccuan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 12:45:43 UTC 2007

Most, and again I emphasize *most*, HP printers work flawlessly with Linux
for general usage. You may however be unable to use certain advanced
features that you are used to in Windows...but, for basic every day printing
of things like documents, letters, invoices, envelopes, spreadsheets,
emails, HP is normally an excellent solution.

If you are having problems, and willing to fork over $40, you can buy
TurboPrint (http://www.turboprint.de) which basically allows any printer to
work with Linux. ("Any printer" is not quite accurate though)

TurboPrint is a decent offering - I bought it because I refuse to carry a
printer with me, and I am constantly moving my laptop around connecting to
various printers (some of which remain unsupported natively) and TurboPrint
allows me to connect to just about all of them without any problems.

I wish that TurboPrint was an opensource, or at least free package - but,
developers have to eat and feed their families :) So, I dont mind
temporarily supporting a closed source package. I have found that most
closed-source linux developers eventually open source their work and then
just develop a "premium" version of their product, or simply make money from
offering tech support. Hopefully this is the future for TurboPrint.

On 2/25/07, Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:

>  So, I've gone to linuxprinting.org (now openprinting.org).  I've run off
> a copy of every printer that's rated as working 100% under Linux.  I go out
> hunting.  Five hours later I find... nothing.
>
> I find a frustrating number of "near misses", though.  For example the HP
> Deskjet D1368.  The D1360 is listed as fully functional and HP lists the 60
> and 68 together with a few other models as the D1300 Series.  So...  the
> question I'm asking myself (of this and the D2368 as well) is: if the 1360
> (of 2360) is listed, but the 1311, 1320, 1330, 1341 and 1368 are not,
> despite all of them being the "D1300 Series" (similar line of models for the
> "D2360 Series"), can I assume that the 1368 will, in fact, work?  Or am I
> getting ready to burn money?
>
>   --
> Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com>
> *Disclaimer:* *Any people who think that opinions expressed from my
> private email account in any way, shape or form are those of my employer
> have more lawyers at their beck and call than they do brain cells.*

Shawn McCuan
smccuan at gmail.com