Life on the Command Line

Rolando Pereira finalyugi at sapo.pt
Sat Dec 29 12:07:28 UTC 2007

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:35:53 +0000
> Rosalind Mitchell <rcm at swimbarrow.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> How far do others manage to get using text-based applications only?  Any
>> real hidden gems I should be aware of?
>
> At the risk of being accused of self-promotion... Have a look at the INX
> live CD linked in my .sig   :) Start with watching the slideshow at:
>
> http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html
>
> Others have mentioned quite a few apps...

Nice job, from the screenshots there appears to use some programs that I
don't know.

Is there a list with the programs that the Live CD brings? (My
connection is slow, so I can't just download it and see)

> There is also the fbi program, which is a console-only image viewer
> ( included in INX) The associated fbgs program displays pdf, too.
>
> A couple of other file managers : linm, vifm
> Graphical browsing with svga or framebuffer: links2 -g ( also called as
> xlinks2)

Linm seems nice, I think I'll try it on.

If programs that use svga or framebuffer counts, then I'll suggest
PrBoom (Doom 2 clone) and Xmame.sgva.

--
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )