dual-booting ubuntu with vista

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 07:47:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Dec 21, 2007 10:19 AM, Don Raikes <don at draikes.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> My question is how to partition the harddrive. The windows partition is
> 100gb, and takes the entire drive. The c: drive has roughly 49gb free.
>
> When he goes to install ubuntu, is there a way to shrink the existing
> partition by 40gb to give plenty of room for ubuntu?
> What tool do we need, and how do we do it?

Vista lets you shrink the partition. I think that is the best thing to do. I
had tried with Gparted as well, but I goofed up somewhere, I don't know
whether it was because of the NTFS Fstype issue.
The best thing is to shrink the partition from Vista  and then create a new
partition via the partition editor as part of the the Ubuntu install
process.

Thanks,
Raseel
www.opensourcedeal.com