dual-booting ubuntu with vista

Owen Townend bowbowbow at optushome.com.au
Fri Dec 21 05:29:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 21:49 -0700, Don Raikes wrote:
> Hello,
> My son is interested in installing ubuntu onto his laptop where he
> already has vista.
>
> Overall his desire is to get rid of vista, but he needs some stuff for
> college still.
>
> My question is how to partition the harddrive. The windows partition
> is 100gb, and takes the entire drive. The c: drive has roughly 49gb
> free.
>
> When he goes to install ubuntu, is there a way to shrink the existing
> partition by 40gb to give plenty of room for ubuntu?
> What tool do we need, and how do we do it?

Hey,
  The latest version of the installer for Ubuntu will ask you during the
install process what you want to do and can resize the windows partition
for you. If you want to do it manually first you can do it from the
desktop that the Ubuntu disk gets you to using a tool called gparted in
the menu system->administration->Gnome Partition Editor
  Gparted is fairly intuitive, but if you get stuck, just ask.

cheers,
Owen.