dual-booting ubuntu with vista

Don Raikes don at draikes.com
Fri Dec 21 04:49:28 UTC 2007

Hello,
My son is interested in installing ubuntu onto his laptop where he already has vista.

Overall his desire is to get rid of vista, but he needs some stuff for college still.

My question is how to partition the harddrive. The windows partition is 100gb, and takes the entire drive. The c: drive has roughly 49gb free.

When he goes to install ubuntu, is there a way to shrink the existing partition by 40gb to give plenty of room for ubuntu?
What tool do we need, and how do we do it?