Ubuntu 7.10 on USB flashdrive

Lorenzo Sandini lorenzo.sandini at pp.inet.fi
Tue Dec 11 20:54:18 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have been stuck with this for a while, and I haven't found a solution
in other forums/newsgroups.

I am trying to install 7.10 from the liveCD to a USB flashdrive or "USB
stick" in other words, in a persistent way. I use the
www.pendrivelinux.com directions, that seem to work for most people.

The partitionning of the drive and copying of the folders/files to the
USB stick work fine, as does booting from the USB stick as well, after
installation.

However, the second partition casper-rw "cannot be mounted, as no
mountpount was found", as reported by gparted. So I find myself with a
LiveUSB install, fully working but without persistence.

When booting into another linux session (another distro, or ubuntu from
HDD, LiveCD), I can see both FAT16 and ext2 partitions on my USB stick
and access their contents, there seems to be no partitionning/formatting
errors on the USB stick itself. The second partition just cannot be
mounted when booting directly from the USB stick. Tried various USB
sticks, installed from 3 different computers, downloaded the LiveCD
twice, same problem.

Any suggestion ?

Lorenzo Sandini