Give grandma the right reasons to use Ubuntu

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Fri Dec 7 10:02:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, December 7, 2007 10:38 am, andy baxter wrote:
> niel wrote:
>>> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on
>>> how software is used *around* you:    http://digifreedom.net/node/84
>> Pls find another mailing liste :-)
>>
> Why?? The list name is 'ubuntu-users' not
> 'ubuntu-tech-support-and-nothing-else'. I found this site interesting
> and useful, and I'm glad he posted it, even if he did help write it.
> Would you feel the same way if he had posted a link to a site he'd found
> but didn't write himself?
>
> andy.

Thanks to Andy for his support. For the record, I did not "help write it"
I am the only author of both the book and the Digifreedom.net website, with
the obvious exception of comments in the forums.

This said, I had already explained at the very beginning of the initial
message what is my part in those projects, and I had also explicitly
said that what matters, FOSS-wise, is not to buy my book (which of course
would make me happy, what's so surprising about it) but to adopt the
same strategy, something which everybody could do without ever sending
me one cent or acknowledging my whole existence.

As a matter of fact, at this point it would be interesting (and much more
useful to all Ubuntu users and FOSS advocates) if Niel could explain why
exactly he didn't like what I wrote. In other words: is it simply the fact
that I am the author of a book which addresses the "bring linux to
grandma" issue?

Or do the theses and suggestions I presented look inherently wrong/dumb/
whatever, no matter who wrote them?

Any feedback is welcome!

Marco Fioretti
--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/84