Wireless in ubuntu will not work with static IP address - Wicd installed

Rapael Morcha raphael.morcha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:58:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 06:59:48PM +0200, Niels Larsen wrote:
> I have problems on my new laptop to get wireless to work (ubuntu7.04)
>
> Then I found the following URL's:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs
> http://www.ossgeeks.co.uk/?p=166
> and got wireless to work with dhcp.
>
> Now I have tried to get wireless to work using static IP addresses, but it
> will not (I intend to use ssh between my 2 computers)
>
> I have the following setup up's GUI's options:
> K - Settings - Internet & Network - Network settings
> K - System - Network
> K - Internet - Wicd (Network Manager)
> and have all sat up with IP address, in order not to let any out.

If you have not edited your /etc/network/interfaces file so far, do it.
Dump these lines -

---------
auto eth0 (which device, eth0/1/2 etc..)
iface eth0 inet static (make it static)
address 10.1.1.13 (should be what static IP you want the device to get)
netmask 255.0.0.0 (network mask)
broadcast 10.255.255.255 (bcast address)
gateway 10.1.1.1 (where your router resides)
---------

$ man ifconfig
$ ifconfig
$ man ifup